Thursday 18 October 2012

MP/VISUAL RESEARCH - YANG YI



I have seen many projects on San Xia Dams but Yang Yi’s Uprooted engages me the most.  His statement as below:

"Near the end of 2005, camera in tow, I endeavored to return to my hometown. In the summer of 2006, I traveled by boat to the Three Gorges Dam, photographing fragments of these riverside places. Each time I returned to the place, I felt it was a race against time. They were destroying the old town so fast, leaving the atmosphere of death and decomposition everywhere.

"I don't intend to dwell on the meaning to be found in my photography. What is important for me is that I came from that town. It is about all that we have in common there: our accent, our spicy coriander, the nod we give each other, a friendly signal to say hello when we pass one another on the street, these streets that we have traveled alongside our ancestors, that have herded us along together... this series was created for all of that. It will be my personal memoir."

Uprooted is a photographic series based on Yang Yi's personal story. It envisions the last moments of the village where he was born, which is now entirely engulfed by water from the Three Gorges Dam. The Dam, along the Yangtze River in the Hubei province of China, is the world's largest engineering and construction site. 

No comments:

Post a Comment