Monday 8 October 2012

MP/VISUAL RESEARCH - REFLECTION III



While generalisation breeds stereotype and prejudice and makes lots of details devoid, it does give a general feel of the subjects.  Without generalisation, we would learn things in a much slower way.  The second we get something we will surely miss something else.  That because of the flip side of generalisation we should scrap this method is not constructive.  I shouldn’t be afraid of generalisation and prejudice this methodology.  On the contrary, I should understand its benefit and limit and overcome the flip side.  Therefore despite the thought I go multi layers of level in this project, I somehow feel I am gravitated to do a project called “The Chinese” to generalise or superficially grasp the zeitgeist of the Chinese.  On the other side, what I am afraid of is that I am already an insider, a normal Chinese, who might have so much de ja vu taken for granted and hence can not be sensitive enough to get the gist of the zeitgeist.  I shouldn’t worry too much and I think I just should go for it - go to a place and give myself sometime and do something.  I should have an unique eye - living in the west more than a decade should make me a somehow outsider which should offer me better sensitive eye sight if I visit China.  Every time I go to China I do spot lots of interesting things, even though I stay there for a couple of weeks, these eye-popping things disappear.  I think I think too much already.  I need to expand my horizon to see and research more.  I need to go ahead with my idea with actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment