Sunday 21 October 2012

MAJOR PROJECT - MADE IN CHINA / SHOOTING RELFECTION



I remember I was happy and had quite a sense of achievement after the “blitz” shooting.   Then I realised the countless problems accompanied.
  1. I used natural light and the shooting time is around lunch time.  The light source is from the top, as the red background is uneven, I can clearly see the bumpy surface.
  2. I used auto focus and auto exposure in the aperture priority mode.  Focus is not a problem, however exposure was a great problem.  The focus is normally the hair, and it is dark hair.  Hence there are quite a lot frames over exposed ending up with a washing out red background.  Probably I used the multi points light meter, so the extent of over exposure is quite different, and I clearly see the uneven colour saturation if the images are juxtaposed side by side. 
  3. I cropped the image to passport composition, as I want to use this “institutional” language as a signifier with wide open space.  As my composition is all different, cropping to the precise level is not an easy job, what’s more, due to the pixel loss in cropping, some cropped images are soft, as I cropped too much due to my no control of the original composition.  
  4. I remember one of the problem was the size of the background paper.  Due to its constrained size, I have to step back or forth, to make sure the sitter is within the red background, as I did not appoint a foot print position.

In general, these are all caused by no planning.  I should have considered all these points and plan in a meticulous way.  Now I not only wasted my time and effort but also my sitters.  There are 56 people plus others helping me make this happen.  Project like this requires great pre-thinking and planning to be effective and efficient.  I can’t imagine that I had done numerous projects but still worked in this ameuter way...

No comments:

Post a Comment