Saturday 6 October 2012

MP/VISUAL RESEARCH - REFLECTION I



So far, I have visually researched the following:

Bruno Barbey’s  The Italian
Robert Frank’s The American
Liu Zheng’s The Chinese
Boris Mikhailov’s Case History
Simon Robert’s We English
Nadav Kander’s Yangtzi, the Long River

Carrying a camera, walk around a country, snap or make images to capture the national’s essence, that has been one of my ideal projects.  I long for one day I can be carefree traveling all around China doing this.  On the other hand, whatever the camera shoots, the image is bound to be something about the nation, as the camera just takes one fragmented scene from the reality in the country.   Taking a few images and give it a grand name using the country’s name, to me, it is a little too much a generalization.  Sometimes it is ok to do this, as I found Frank’s “The American” is the perfect project with a perfect name; however most of other projects with such a name, I am quite not sure and uneasy to appreciate.   The name would be too broad.  Yes, the project might evoke many layers of meanings and readings, but I personally prefer something with a more specified area.  

Street photography and snapshot probably is not my thing, as I had too many experiences shoot and miss. I like to have more time to think and compose, working with no rush.  However on the other hand, I probably would like to challenge myself on this.  

I am still quite persuaded of my original plan.  A grand name as a general title (Zeitgeist, China) but with subtitles to elaborate different layers of aspects.  Of course, the trilogy idea of three projects probably are not enough, but it certainly a starting point.  

My next research area is to dig out the projects and works more specific to a country or nation’s Zeitgeist.

No comments:

Post a Comment