Wednesday 3 October 2012

MP/VISUAL RESEARCH - Boris Mikhailov





"It is a disgraceful world, populated by some creatures that were once humans, but now these living beings are degraded, ghastly, appalling." This is how Ukrainian photographer Boris Mikhailov explains the places in the Soviet Union, he walks through the late 90s in order to pursue his work. In 1999 he released the haunting images of a once glorious nation in his book "Case History". Boris Mikhailov, born in 1938 in Kharkov, Ukraine lives and works in the Ukraine and in Berlin. Case History documents Mikhailov’s perception of social disintegration ensuing from the break-up of the Soviet Union – both in terms of social structures and the resulting human condition. Case History documents the social oppression, the devastating poverty, the harshness and helplessness of everyday life for the homeless

I found Boris Mikhailov’s works interesting, not that I like them, actually some of the images I find disturbing, but it does give me the space to engage which is part of his aesthetics.  Sometimes, I really dislike something but at the same time I get quite intrigued in a way.  This feel let me to explore more of what behind the works.  His works are like this.  He took a Russian Zeitgeist project named “Case History” documenting what was around in 90’s of Soviet time.  Again, of course, that is his view of the time.  He has lots of other projects documenting the society and the culture.  Many in a quite queer and amusing way.

Case History documents the social oppression, the devastating poverty, the harshness and helplessness of everyday life for the homeless.  These particular images first portray the working class of the Cold War era and then the poverty-stricken public, proving that both Perestroika and Glasnost left the people of the Ukraine with much less than they promised.  When used for documentation purposes, the photograph exposes a host of fissures within society, portraying the condition of the immediate environment while simultaneously gauging it in a single snapshot.

He Commented:   “I think that the phenomenon I am telling the world about is post-communist and post-Soviet in its essence and that it belongs especially to this world, to the Slavic universe.”  “I am trying to find the unique in that manifold reality itself. Maybe that is exactly what people like, first of all.” “I am not trying to take pictures of sensational things, but rather of those things which are in excess.”  

“Many people tell me that they have noticed such guys only after seeing my photos. Before, they didn’t have eyes for them. I could not say that I am a "chronographer" above all, because I am selecting, even sniffing situations for a long time. They say about me, that I proceed like a cat hiding, watching. I am waiting for the best moment to push the button of the camera.”  “I tried to capture the feeling of their helplessness, of their social oppression; I once witnessed a scene whereby a strong young man caviled at a poor guy passing by and kicked him hard. I even thought I had heard the poor man’s bones break. Nobody noticed it, either those nearby, or the militia man patrolling close by. I felt guilty, as I often feel guilty of things I see and take pictures of.”  “This series of photos is a cycle called "Case History", that I might equally call the "clinical file of a disease". It took shape round 1997-1998. A big city, such as Harkov, offered me a great deal of raw material. And I did not miss it, I did not ignore it.”  

“What happened on the ruins of the ex-Soviet Empire is still unique. Motivations are different. These guys’ shabbiness is the mirror of the ruin and disappointment of a much larger number of people, most of whom no longer feel safe and wealthy as in the Soviet era; many people’s ideals are gone forever, others have simply gone mad! I have taken pictures of them and I have enjoyed it, and maybe the whole world has a better understanding of the post-communist dramas through these sequences taken directly after nature.”  “I took the pictures displaying naked people with their things in hands like people going to gas chambers.”  “"BOMJI". It is a term made of capital letters, recently coined. It literally refers to those people without a stable residence, practically living in the streets, wherever they can stretch their bones.”  “It is a disgraceful world, populated by some creatures that were once humans, but now these living beings are degraded, ghastly, appalling. This "fauna" is specific especially to the period of quasi-general diffidence, specific for most of the post-communist world.”  

“I suddenly felt that many people were going to die at that place. And the bomzhes had to die in the first rank, like heroes – as if their lives protected the others’ lives.”  “Now they are becoming the bomzhes with their own class psychology and “clan” features. For me it was very important that I took their photos when they were still like “normal” people. I made a book about the people who got into trouble but didn’t manage to harden so far.”  “First, these were the people who had recently lost their homes. According to their position they were already the bomzhes (“bomzh” = the homeless without any social support), according to outlook they were simply the people who got into trouble.”    

No comments:

Post a Comment