Wednesday 2 March 2011

DOCUMENTARY PROJECT - SHOOTING STARTS

I started shooting using the Hasselbladt. First the handheld viewfinder makes composition and focus very difficult. Without tripod I worry the shaking of hands but with tripod it is not easy to make the composition manoeuvring as free as possible. I did three shots today. I forgot to draw my composition of the train station shot today, as I will have to shoot 30 images for 30 days from the same location, I want the composition to be identical. I gotta record the composition tomorrow morning.

At the same time, I started to use my F1.2 50mm manual lens on my D300. The bokeh is just fabulous but the focus is difficult. It has to be extremely accurate. My eye sight does not help it at all.

I hope I do not run out of ideas.

Sometimes, I could come out with texts corresponding to the images shot. However, I do not like them to be just literal. I am seeking some metaphorical and ambiguous thoughts, which could split an abyss space for viewer to engage together with my image. However, they should be honestly from myself – my thoughts, my story and my experience. Otherwise, it just lost the purpose of the project - it is MY diary.

Some of the images are not pretty. I like formally pretty images that could grasp the visual attention, but the key is that there has to be enough signifiers in the image. I am not quite sure how my shooting goes. I have to let them lay a couple of days before looking them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment