Tuesday 22 March 2011

DOCUMENTARY PROJECT - IDEA SHAPING

I would like to shoot a train station and railway at 8am every morning for 30 days. Same location, identical composition. Thousands of people commute using train, hundreds of trains run through, it is where private meets public. probably the first physical interface in a day when one gets out of the home to go to work.

Now there are two options. One is to shoot to get the right exposure using light metre. The other one is to shoot using a fixed shutter speed and fixed aperture. The purpose for the latter is to enhance the moment, the same amount of time but with different image brightness indicating that every day is bit different.

I would like to subscribe Financial Times for 30 days during the shooting and use some wording as the text for each image to be made. The same composition image with different news story line will interact with each other to depict the complex relationship of nature, machine, society, media, world affair, individual etc. I always think the normal mundane, down-to-earth, static or slow paced life has an interesting complex relationship with the fast paced and dramatic media, business and news world.

Then to create the static view of the image would make the same shutter speed approach invalid, as I would like to or will probably come up with minute changes on each image. Therefore I decide to use the first method – 8am, fixed frame, perfect exposure.

There are two options of the text. One is to get the headline on the first page. Second is to randomly choose a news from the whole paper. Third is to choose a news myself to manipulate the overall feel of the text and image. I think I just need to do all of these three to check and compare then decide.

The working title I will be using would be ‘We live in financial times.’

At the same time, I will be working on my personal intimate ‘Goodbye Yesterday’ series.

No comments:

Post a Comment