Tuesday 29 March 2011

DOCUMENTARY PROJECT - RESEARCH

by Rinko Kawauchi

I am always intrigued by the relationship between text and image. In retrospect, I remember Bill Owen’s Surbabia, Duane Michals’s some work, Alex Soth’s little photo book, looking for the loneliest man. (Just to name a few, as there are just so many artists good at juxtapositions of image and text.) They have such a key part in the photography in these works. If they had not used the texts for the images, the impact would not have been as strong. They have a narrative, expressive, and revelation feel to me.

There are quite a few visual diary, or some personal story telling photographic project. They are similar to what I am doing now. Byron Wolfe, Jari Silomaki, Dinu Li, Renko Kawauchi, Jacques-Henri Lartigue, Elinor Carucci, Lina El Yafi, Nan Golden…and there are so many more and similar to what I am doing. You come with some idea, 99% of chance is that there has been already this kind of works after you do some research. Nevertheless, there will be some difference, at the end of the day, it is my personal story I am doing.

Photography is a lonely process. When I am in, I just want to shut myself from everything and immerse myself with my ideas, engagement and references, and write my reflections or doing some shots to develop more.

No comments:

Post a Comment