Friday 18 March 2011

DOCUMENTARY PROJECT – IDEA DEVELOPING


We had a session of discussing ideas with everyone. Discussion is a process where idea develops when people ask questions and I think and when others, especially Eileen and Ulrike, give input references.

I found the interplay between text and image can sometimes create very interesting relationships, feels, and meanings. While the image is a snap shot, or not necessarily a snapshot, of one fragment moment of my visual life, the text is the key. The text could be what I feel, what I experience, what the situation is, something what I am interested in the news, or something I just randomly chosen from the newspaper. Even if the text is from what I random choose from the news, even if it does not go with the image, it still reflects a complex relationship between the world and me. Life, at the end of the day, sometimes does not make sense, anyway. Regardless of me, the world moves on and does not halt to a stop. Regardless what happened anywhere, life moves on. “Goodbye Yesterday” will be title of the project. It will be an elegy of my yesterday on the backdrop of the world.

There will be a few scenarios with the combination of text and image.

Idealised Scenario Matrix


Image

Text

Overall

Intimate

Personal

Intimacy

Intimate

Current

Conflicting/Complex

Detached

Personal

Conflicting/Complex

Detached

Current

Detached

Am I after some very intimate personal visual diary style, or some conceptual and special works, or some really detached style statement? I would like to make a combination of everything, as just like the weather, changes every day, my life and mood change everyday. The above four options could be results of different days. However, I worry about the coherence.

Regarding the text, I think I could create some moody atmosphere in some works, and come up with some cinematic story telling narrative, or some social and cultural comment.

I decide to start the project hopefully next week, and then discipline myself for at least 30 days to see how it goes. If successful, I just chose 5 to 9 pieces out of this 30 days trial result.

I would like to plan the shooting and at the same time to do some visual research as there seems many personal visual diary style projects already elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment