Thursday 3 March 2011

ARTIST’S TALK – EDGAR MARTIN

from The Accidental Theorist

by Edgar Martin

I like Edgar Martin’s photography, as there is a familiar but unexplainable strangeness in it. He gave us a talk today. There are many interesting points and philosophical thoughts in his talk. He mentioned his interest in theatre. The world is like theatres with reality get fictionalised first then mediated as a reality to viewer especially when one observes the things. He also used Heisenberg uncertainty principle as a tool or analogy to explain the reality changes when we gaze on things. I have the same experience when I gaze quietly and become able to feel the thing-ness in the things, I sometimes feel space could change and be distorted in reality and especially in representational medium, a Chinese character does not look like the Chinese character if I look at it for a certain time. I like his rendition of fragmentary reality and his highly metaphorical representations of reality. He also has a highly successful career with a lot of commissions, awards, and publications. He also gave some interesting information how to get book published.

No comments:

Post a Comment