Wednesday 11 January 2012

BEHIND CURTAINS - SELF REFLECTION

There has been an obvious development process especially in presentation, such as title, edit, text, layout etc, during which I have been constantly engaging with the project. The project idea itself is interesting and sophisticated. However, I am not sure of quite a few aspects of this project. First of all, the shooting result was not to my original satisfactory mainly due to the dust in the rear window of my room. This resulted in less clarity of the image. Ideally I should have used a large format camera as well, because detail is the key of this project. I couldn’t due to some practical reasons. Secondly the text is not perfect. The idea is good in general but my original idea was to write a novel about what was happening in one or many rooms juxtapose to the images. The purpose is to ‘relay’ the title to the text and engage the image with viewer more. I couldn’t accomplish this due to my time constraint and maybe my ability to write the novel. Andrei suggested use found text, which is another interesting way to creatively engage text to images. Lastly the printing was unexpectedly not easy. Anand in Westphoto and I have been working on my printing for more than one whole day for the 24 prints. My original idea was to make 2 double sided full bleed image of hours 2-5am as it was the night time nothing really happened from the image, while as for other hours, single sided layout. This way it could create a cinematic effect. However, we couldn’t make the image printed in the right middle of both sides of a piece of paper! I could have find another printer, but everything has to be gone over again for 24 prints. Therefore, I had to make do using single sided layout all the way. To some extent, it makes sense as there has been camera’s mechanical surveillance feel in it, but this was not what I finally intended. There might be some minor imperfections in retouching, printing, and binding, but the major ones are the above three: original images, text, and printing. Maybe I should continue to engage with this subject and work on it further.

No comments:

Post a Comment