Thursday 11 March 2010

PUBLIC/PRIVATE (Montage) – 2ND SHOOTING


(Liverpool Street Station, London 2010)

OMG. What an excited locale! There were hundreds of people, if not thousands, jam packed inside Liverpool Street Station when I arrived there at around 17:30. There should be some train delays otherwise it would not be so many people even in rush hour times. The upstairs offered a great vantage point. I started shooting first round at ISO 400 intensively worrying security people might stop me at any time. The crowd were just fabulous and I kind of shot without any conscious. I changed to ISO 800 for the second round worrying blurring due to slow shutter speed as the lens aperture became around 5.6 when I tele zoomed the scene and the light inside is not ideal. Crappy lens (18-200 Nikkor) though convenient. It was a great venue and I wish I could find one shot to be used for the montage project. There are several difficulties in this shooting that might have a detrimental impact on the photos. The colour temperature was very complicated with all kinds of electric lights on so not quite sure of the white balance adjustment afterwards. The high ISO might get too noisy. Shooting was done by instinct with no time to check the image and re-shoot. I did plan to shoot a grand scene with good depiction of environment besides the big crowd. I also planned to shoot a group of people looking up.

I checked the pictures afterwards. ISO 800 quality is acceptable thanks to my D300. There are a few blurred ones, but I quite like one or two of them. One or two shots might be suitable for the montage, but I am not quite satisfied with the composition. I need to edit again the 83 photos and hopefully find the right one to start the masking, not the PS masking, the real one – to wear every one in the crowd a white mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment