Friday 18 February 2011

5 X 4


We were introduced large format today. Asa Johannesson showed her portraiture work by 5 X 4 along with other people’s large format works. There is a quality with something frozen in there thick and still and I could easily lose myself looking at them forgetting time ticking, not mentioning the aesthetic side. The 5 X 4 slow down the process and acted not as a mediated tool not only to photography but also to the on the site interaction between the subject and the photographer. I instantly fall in love with it and decide to use it in some of my works very soon. It is amazing looking and feeling its physical quality and the work done by it, however, operating it is no easy. It is cumbersome and 100% manual. It is not like the manual on 35mm or medium format. The front and back can be shifted, tilted and swung. I have to cock the shutter, open aperture for focus, close lens for exposure, load single film on the back. This is time consuming but it offers so much flexibility for image making. I enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment