Monday 22 February 2010

PUBLIC/PRIVATE – SHOOTING FOR HOTSPOT

(Shad Thames, London 2010)

I selected the suicide hotspots such as Tower Bridge, Monument, Jumeirah Knightsbridge, A1Hornsey Lance Bridge, Green Street, Queensway Tube Station and Parliament. I would like to create a context and push the public and private aspects to the most ambiguous yet convoluted extent as slides show from the beginning to the end.

I then started 1st shooting 2 weeks ago. You always find lots of problems after some trial shooting. I found the biggest problem is that there is no visual coherence. These places of course look totally different visually. I couldn’t use the same lens, same perspective, and same vantage points when shooting. There are some people in some of the shots as well since all places are in public. It is impossible to dodge all the pedestrians especially the Queensway Station as people constantly coming in and out of the station. The tourist view of Tower Bridge and Monument bothers me as well because they signifies a different feelings against the theme. I tried same format but it didn’t work well as uniformed portrait or landscape does not cover some of the sites well. I decided to re-shoot.

I got up at 6am and started from Queensway Station last Saturday. Just 20 minutes in early morning, I got some desired shots with no people fortunately! There are still parked cars on street, but there is no way to dodge it. I planned every shot to be done by landscape format. I managed to shoot some alternative views of the familiar Tower Bridge and Monument. The light was very grey last time as it was cloudy. This time it was sunny so to maintain the coherence, I can not use the shots from last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment