Monday 8 February 2010

PUBLIC/PRIVATE 2 ZOO


(Home at London Zoo; January, 2010)

I like animals generally. They have eyes, nose, ears etc just like us. Every time I see the eyes of any animal I become connected to their animal soul somehow. I especially like human alike ones such as monkeys. They are natural, primitive, and unpretentious. On the other hand, they might be considered stupid, uncivilised…

The idea is to shoot monkeys behind bars with spectators looking at them in the front ground. I would like to create a parody on the public surveillance over the private lives. I would like to express through my lens the vulnerability of the surveilled and the ferocity of the surveillers – another world of jungle.

There were no bars in London zoo unfortunately, but all glassed show rooms. I was disappointed that I couldn’t execute my original shooting plan. However, I shot two monkeys at home – actually show room with glass walls so that visitor can see everything clearly. I then began to contemplate the relationship between nature and culture. Animals’ space has been poached by human since civilisation. Some ‘lucky’ ones were taken to the new homes (like these two monkeys in their London home). Animal has no privacy but …

I still don’t have a mature idea to develop this but I found animal related subject intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment