Sunday 4 November 2012

MAJOR PROJECT - TRANSIT/CONCEPTUALISING



There is the fourth dimension in today’s China - the speed - the rate of development and change.  The speed does not merely transform China. It is becomes China.  It is not only a phenomenon itself, it is also the relationship of everything in nature, society, culture and politics.  The reality, and the only reality today in China lies in the speed of the transit.  

On this planet, the watershed velocity speed is 11.2 kilometers per second.  Within this speed, our perception to everything is normal as everything is of this velocity speed.   Is the annual rate of double digit economic development in China the watershed speed or beyond?  I would like to find out.  I would like to see this speed of  transit.  I need to be of a similar speed, therefore, I jumped into a car and asked the driver to run as fast as possible wherever, through high street, by residential blocks, on motorways, across rural areas...  

After hours of traveling in this fast car, I don’t feel the speed any more, I locked myself in the world of speed and transit physically and mentally.  I can hear the noise of the engine and the sound of the wind.  I can feel the bumping of the car, but not the sense of speed any more.  Speed becomes part of me and transforms to an entrance, through which I penetrate into an unknown reality where everything is blurred and distorted.  I continuously press the shutter.  In every fraction of a second, everything in China blurred. 

My camera is my vessel  missioned to carry my perception to enter this fast changing world.  I continuously shoot whatever passing me.

Speed becomes part of the visual form, the splash of lights, the distorted scenes, the blurred images and the substance of my perception. 

This dimension has been continuously covered by the speed and the change as a result of the speed of development in China.  The old place and values become oblivion covered by the new, modern and the speed.   Actually there is no speed, just the traces of the continuation of the speed and the traces is wiped off every second by another round of new development of speed.   

These images are not about the speed of the transit in China but the elegy of the speed of  “then” because in reality the speed does not stop.  I know I could never have the chance to go back to the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment