Friday 24 August 2012

SUMMER REFLECTIONS




So the D800E arrived in the summer.  With the right shutter speed, lighting and lens, the image taken is sharp.  It is like a studio camera.  I took a lot of portraiture around me.  Every time an image is taken I check on the camera back to see how sharp it is.  I get more and more carried away by the technology and hardware.  Sharpness and resolution become the key factor in my photography.  “Is it good enough like a large format?” is the question continuously around me. Then I visited the Deutsche Börse Photography Prize 2012 at the Photographers Gallery.  I have not been to any gallery lately.  This show is the most refreshing.

I realised that I had missed the content of the photography after I have the D800E and carried away by the “form”.  Kawauchi’s images used to have such an impact to me.  The daily mundane miracles, the void and the absence inspired me to find lots of visual revelations and thinkings in my life.  Stezaker’s montage used to provoke much thinking and let me see lots of things behind the image through the wired montage narratives and absence of “something”.  I have missed all the poetic and conceptual quality in all images I took from this D800E.  This D800E makes me to enter into the McDonald world with easy-going and happy for nothing.  I am glad that I visited this show as it drags me back into the other world with feelings, thinkings, and enlightening. 

I officially entered into my photographic art world today.  Yes, I am back and there are still a few days this summer.





1 comment:

  1. I like this blog post. It's funny how a technological marvel like the D800E can seduce us with it's promise and then lead us to a McDonald's world. And how visiting a show can restart the enquiry into where this photography might lead.

    ReplyDelete