Wednesday 1 February 2012

TAKE A BREAK - TAYLOR WESSING PORTRAIT PRIZE 2011






at National Portrait Gallery

I went to 2011 Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize Show at National Portrait Gallery. Maybe I was in a good mood, I found this years work interesting and liked quite a few. I like the slow cooking process of portraiture making, the slow and subtle interaction between the sitter and the image maker, making the image ambiguous as always. I like the little performance of the sitter/photographer, some conceptual involvement. Some composition is working quite well, audacious but really worked not only from aesthetic point of view. Of course, I love the painterly light in portraiture, maybe signifying the painting tradition effects and creating a complex experience in both form and content. However, sometimes, well, most of the times I am bit hasty in image making process. Maybe I worry occupying to much of sitters time making him/her uncomfortable. I should overcome this. Anyway, a simple and short but inspiring show...

No comments:

Post a Comment