Monday 11 April 2011

DOCUMENTARY PROJECT - SELF REFLECTION



I continue to explore the relationship between text and image in my projects this year. One is “Everyday” in medium format and the other one is “Bye-bye Yesterday” in digital. I found the impact and perception with the combination of text and image fascinating in creating synergetic significations.

“Bye-bye Yesterday” is my personal visual diary. They are the traces of my past and the elusive signifiers that click open memories. I photo document things around me and capture the thoughts in that day in text. After starting a few days forming the habit of creation of such works daily, thoughts inspired image taking and shots pushed my text expressions. One thing in doubt is the visual cohesion as the form of the image could differ greatly from day to day. However on the other hand, I am never static in style and therefore it seems right reflect the content of the project.

“Everyday” is my expression about the local and global, the private and public, the ephemeral and everlasting. Media connect us with the world. Do incidents happening in our planet mean anything to us? Are our surroundings and we influenced and shaped by things happening around us locally or globally? The train station stood there looking the same every day. Weather, colour, and light hang over the location with minor difference every day. People on the platform look subtly different every day. I took the image at the same time sharp 8:00am every day and then I juxtapose a story on that day with the image.

Both projects were created everyday for 4 weeks only. The series of the work strengthen the project ideas better than a single one. However, if the projects are done for one year, I feel it will stand stronger. I tried to work out the best way to present the text for “Everyday” however I am bit doubtful if this is done well. I need to spend more time thinking and playing different options.

Due to the nature of the project, I planned the context of my work as printing matters and therefore I have printed mock-up photo books on two projects. “Everyday” is the first time printing so there are many details to be corrected. “Byebye Yesterday” is the second time printing so in general everything looks better than “Everyday”. The publishing layout is never an easy job with many options and I wish I could learn more about this in the near future.

The analogue dark room prints are of some coloured tints. I originally tried to correct it but decided not to adjust but to use the same colour balance combination to reflect the subtle colour difference of every day weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment