Sunday 12 December 2010

TAKE A BREAK – MUNTEAN / ROSENBLUM

by Muntean / Rosenblum

Finally, as the project and the essay are finishing, I managed to have some free time to wandering around galleries. London is full of hidden gems. Maybe not hidden for others, but for me, they are hidden. Most galleries I visited today are for the first time. First Photofusion (Member group show), then Jerwood Space (This Must be the Place curated by David Campany), Gagosian is closed, Maureen Poley (Muntean / Rosenblum) and Finally Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize Show. I instantly fell for Muntean/Rosenblum’s works. The image plus the text are very touching. It is cinematic, concise, and poetic… which has a very strong impact on me. I did not found this years portrait prize show intriguing. I felt that the statement from many photographers are overplaying the issues of social study, relationship etc… I did not have the same refreshing feel as last year. I found myself is sometimes seeing too much biography (just like the media, critics, and statement do), story and context, rather than the image itself. I would rather free myself to see and feel more of an image than the discursive analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment